Thursday, July 15, 2010

All ready to go

I finally got all the phone calls today and everything set up for tomorrow. Surgery is at 8:45 am, a lot better than the dream I had last night where it was at 5:00 pm. I just got a call from an OR nurse and she answered a lot of questions. Yes, they will give him the Versed (sp?) before the procedure so we doesn't remember it. They will start with gas but once he is asleep they will do an IV. Not for sure how much I like that. I will not see him until he is out of recovery and we get admitted into our room, not for sure how much I like that either. The IV will stay in since he will have IV pain meds and fluids to keep him hydrated. Hopefully the pan meds will help him sleep so he doesn't freak out. That is my biggest concern, him being scared. Total time away from us is going to be almost two hours. I keep debating on if I should have opened my mouth about the tonsils, I mean I know it would have happened sooner or later, especially if fall/winter hits and he gets strep or RSV again and they get inflamed and he can't breathe. The less times you have to be put to sleep, the better. It's just still scary. No one wants their babies to be scared or hurt. She did mention that if get gets plenty of fluids tonight and doesn't get overheated playing outside then it will be much easier to get an IV in. So it's water, water, water this evening.
We won't be bringing a laptop with us and don't have Internet access with our phones so I may call Gretchen sometime tomorrow and have her post a quick update on here. Other than that I will post details sometime Saturday evening. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Susie said...

Will be praying for him!!

ginmommy said...

Lots of prayers will be lifted up for you all. You're right, no parent wants their babies to be scared :( Take heart, he'll never remember this when he's older!!