Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Good News and....

no so great news.

The good news first, cause I am being optimistic. I passed my glucose test! All blood work came back in the normal range. If we have more children I will be sure to schedule my 1 hour first thing in the morning. I didn't schedule until after lunch and since she did not require fasting maybe that is why it was elevated. Who knows! The 3 hour test itself wasn't that bad, I got a lot of reading done and the time went by fairly quickly. And Karen may have been right, maybe I just needed three hours to myself, even if I was limited in what I could do.


Now the not go good news. Since Cooper has been in First Steps and speech therapy he gets free services through Dr's Hearing Care. We had him in there back in December for a full hearing test, which he passed, and then a follow up last week. Although both tubes are still in place his left tube wasn't responding so the doctor suggested we follow up with his ENT. The appointment was this morning and sure enough the eardrum is closed again, the tube is on the outside and fluid has built back up behind the ear drum. It's not an infection so drops can't work, it just means his ear drum is closed. This could clear up on it's own, but it could also get worse once fall and winter hits. We can either wait or get another tube. I opted for another tube, with his eardrum closed his hearing is being effected and we don't want that with his speech. They also informed me that with a second set of tubes they also remove their adenoids. Nothing major, just another few minutes. Well then I opened my mouth, I need to be proactive. I asked about his tonsils. They are HUGE!!!! And the doctor agreed and said she is probably having breathing issues because they are so big. And yes, he snores like crazy. So they are coming out too. Then comes the really not so great news. If a child is under 3 they recommend they stay the night in the hospital due to a risk of bleeding. My poor baby has to stay in the hospital. Believe it or not Steve is taking this pretty good. I figured he would freak out. He worries a lot. I'm waiting to hear back from the office so we can schedule this. We are going to try and get it before Cameron comes, at least a good 3 weeks before so Cooper can be completely healed. The only positive about this, it is going to force me to clear my schedule that week after we get home. Oh and since I can eat sugar I'm sure I will have plenty of nervous chocolate eating that day. I'll keep you updated.

8 comments:

Susie said...

Oh I am sorry to hear about Cooper.Will be praying for you all. Getting tonsils and adnoids out is a basic surgery. I am sure he will be ok. I know it has to be nerve racking though.

Tracey said...

Ohhhh, poor Cooper!! I am sure he will do just great! I'll be praying that you and Steve will have peace and be comforted during this. :) Oh, and great news about the test. I'm sure you are RELIEVED!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

Great news about the test!!! Yeah!!

sorry to hear about cooper. everything will be fine but i know how it is to worry!!

Jill said...

Glad everything came back well with the glucose testing.

Poor Cooper. Know that it is all for the best though. I'd worry, too. Good thing there's chocolate. :)

Jaime Mac said...

Oh, the title is right! Good & bad news!
I think it's probably good to get all this stuff outta the way while he's young & resilient! My bro had to have his adnoids (sp?!) out when he was a teenager bc they had caused him a lot of trouble his whole life!
Let us know when the time approaches! I'm sure everything will be great! And hey-another good reason to eat cookies...not that we needed one! :)

The Tibbs World said...

poor guy. We'll be praying for Cooper and you guys.

Amy said...

So sorry to hear about Cooper.....poor little guy. I'm sure things will go just fine, but I would worry too. We will be praying for Cooper, Steve, and you.

ginmommy said...

Oh my!! Welllll, glad that everything turned out with your test, but of course I'm sorry about Cooper. Rest assured though, that he'll be fine. Might be kind of rough for a while, but he'll be fine :-)