Friday, December 19, 2008

Surgery

After 5 doctor visits, wait a minute, 6 if you count the ENT, $135 in co-pays, 2 oral antibiotics, and 3 antibiotic shots we have an end in sight. Cooper got his third shot yesterday and the doctor did say he was about 75-80% cleared up, but we went ahead and got an appointment this morning with an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor. Before we met with the doctor he had his hearing checked with an audiologist. I knew that he did not have any significant hearing loss since they did check him at birth, but I was a little surprised at the difference in the right ear and the left (infected) ear. He responded immediately to sound on the right and it took a while for the left. Then she checked inside his ear to see how his ear drum responded to sound. He fought her on the right so she couldn't get a good look, but the left ear drum was not moving at all. It should pulse and his was like a wall. We only met with the doctor for like 3 minutes, who I might add can't be more than 35 years old. It's such an odd feeling to have a doctor the same age as you are. Anyway, all this was more than enough to go ahead and proceed. He hasn't been saying mama anymore and he isn't walking, so hopefully this will help out. It's just amazing to me he doesn't show more symptoms of being in pain.
I'm a little more calm about the surgery after talking to other parents. A big coincidence but the same doctor did Cooper's cousin Gunner's ears yesterday morning. My only bummer is that due to some unexpected medical bills, like Steve almost cutting off his finger, we are only $90 away from our deductible this year and it goes up next year. So the 8 days into the new year is going to cost me a difference of $900 had we gotten in by Dec 31st. But, it is what it is, he's my child I would pay anything to make him feel better. I joke that if I was still working at Mercer I didn't even have a deductible, but then again I probably would have gotten fired anyway this week for taking off so many days.

4 comments:

Dawn Jenkins said...

Having a sick child is the worst. I will be praying for little Cooper (plus Steve and you). Keep us posted with how it goes.

ginmommy said...

I know you will be nervous, but I totally believe he will do great!! Of course I'll be praying for you guys and hopefully once it's done you wont have to mess with ear ifections anymore. BTW, I feel your pain about all the medical bills, we've been there SO MANY TIMES!!

"The" Chick. said...

Ear tubes are one of the worlds best inventions. Zoe had ear infections every two weeks for almost 6 months and the antibiotic shot is the only thing that would touch them...so every 2 weeks was another shot or sometimes 2 a week. The surgery is easy peasy and totally worth any money you have to pay!

Amy said...

I hate to hear that Cooper is sick. We will be thinking and praying for God's hands to be with the doctors and for a speedy recovery.