Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Trip to the Principal's Office

This month's blog off topic is a memorable moment, that can't be related to marrying your spouse or having your children. I struggled with this one. I am a boring person. I haven't been out of the county, I'm not a risk taker, I'm just plain boring. So I'm sure it's hard to believe I was a little miss goodie good in high school :) I made good grades, hung around a good group of kids, was a rule follower, and teachers liked me. One day, a few months before graduation, I'm sitting in my Calculus class when the principal himself comes over the intercom. He sounds furious! He says, "please send Laura and Jami to my office". I have no idea what is going on. Then someone asks us if we got the t-shirts approved. No, why would we? Then it hit me, oh boy we are in trouble!

I was class president and Laura was another office, can't remember which, doesn't matter. One of our responsibilities was to design and distribute our senior class shirts. We came up with a contest that whoever submits the winning slogan, the class would vote on it, would get a free shirt. The winning slogan won by a long shot, not even a contest really. We didn't even think about telling our class sponsor about it we just went ahead an ordered. Laura and I both had class together during first lunch hour so we has someone else distribute them. Thanks to a couple of people the words "Let's blow this joint" turned into a huge fiasco! In my little 17 year old mind I didn't think twice about this, even now looking back I think it's all silly. We are seniors, it's springtime, we are ready to get the heck out of dodge. How can you turn into something drug related? Well someone did. We spent some time in the principal's office, had class meetings where Laura and I had to address the class and answer questions, more time in the principal's office. In the end, the t-shirt prevailed. But not before we had to make an announcement ourselves to the entire school that the shirt is meant to imply we are ready to leave this place. If you didn't think bad thing about the shirt before you are going to now. It was just plain ridiculous if you ask me. At least I can say I almost made it my entire schooling without going to the principal's office.

After this was said and done, our class sponsor apologized because she knew I would never do anything intentionally to get in trouble. Told ya I was teacher's pet!

5 comments:

ginmommy said...

Well this made me laugh out loud!!! I love it!!! You sound so sweet and gullable, because I would have been one of the kids making the drug reference :) I love you Jami, that's a cute story!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

ha ha!!! That is so funny!! I can see myself doing the same thing!! I am so naive sometimes.

Jaime Mac said...

OH MY, this was hilarious! Definately a memorable moment!
(BTW-I was a goodie goodie in h.s. too. Never did drugs, never drank, never stayed out later than curfew, always got good grades & followed the rules! Nothing wrong with that! ;))

Jill said...

This is funny! I got in trouble for something like this in high school and had to explain myself to the principal because I was the editor in chief of our yearbook and we chose the theme of our yearbook to be Dazed and Confused. They thought it represented our school in a "negative light". Whatever. . .:)

And not to sound mean because I did have a really great experience at Jeff, but I'm pretty sure that that should have been the least of their worries. : )

Terry, Leslie, Noah, Allie, Laynie & Gracie said...

hahaha, this makes me laugh! :)