Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thank You's

Somehow in this world we call blogging an idea came about that those of us that read one anothers blogs should make a post on the same day about the same topic. You can blame Jaime Mac and Alicia on that one. I also know that Gretchen and Tracey should be doing the same, so you can read theirs as well. Today's topic: Thank You Notes!

I'm going to preface this blog post by saying I know I am totally guilty on occasions of not sending a thank you note when they deem appropriate, so if you happen to be the recipient of a non thank you note, I'm sorry!

I agree with Jaime that there are three major occasions where a thank you note should be mandatory; bridal showers, weddings, and baby showers. I can remember stressing out after opening wedding gifts that we had one without a card and I was embarrassed because someone wouldn't be receiving a thank you card from us. I also believe in proper thank you card etiquette. For one they should be done in a timely manner; for showers one to two weeks and although I have heard you get up to a year on wedding gifts, in my opinion this should take no longer than a few months. I also read on Jaime's blog where one reader was a maid of honor and it was her job to help the bride write her thank you card and was responsible for getting them out on time. I totally disagree!!! The gift was for the bride & groom, they are the ones responsible. I also believe they should be handwritten, but that's just me.

Here is where it gets tricky, after the baby is born. This is where I do cut some slack. Things can get overwhelming and sometimes it is easy to forget who brought what and when and let's face it, you are just plain dog tired to remember. After having Cooper I am careful to only bring a gift to the hospital if I know I'm not going to see this person for a while. It's too easy to forget as the mom.

Other times I believe a thank you card is important are high school/college graduation gifts and interviews. I was taught never to do an interview and not send a thank you note.

Kid's birthdays are another that is up in the air for me. I'm a stay at home mom so after Cooper's party I had plenty of time do this. I don't get offended if I don't receive one, sometimes we just don't have time. We also had a small immediate family only party, so it was pretty easy to remember and get them out.

Finally... when someone does something nice and unexpected for you, a simply thank you is good enough for me. But it is extra special to get a thank you note, it's nice to know you made a difference in that person's day.

All this being said- I don't get offended at all if I don't receive one. I think it's the proper thing to do and it's what I was taught, but more often than not if I receive one I read and it gets thrown away. Our world has almost become too politically correct and it's a little odd writing a thank you note to your third cousin, I mean what do you say? Thank you for the kitchen towels and for coming to the wedding. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk, but then again maybe we did, we haven't seen one another since we were three so I can't really remember what you look like.

Anyway, it is the proper thing to do do and it is a little disrespectful if you don't even attempt one, but I probably won't miss it if I don't receive one either.

5 comments:

Jaime Mac said...

Jami Leigh Lee you brought up an excellent point about when you take a gift to the hospital. I have done that several times...& not one time did I get a thank you note. And surprisingly I didn't think anything about it. You're correct about being a busy mom w/ a newborn. I can sympathize w/ that & would agree a new mom has WAY more to do than think about thank you notes!
Good post. I quite enjoyed it. You said some things I had never thought of. Plus you agreed w/ me & that's always a plus in my book! :)

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

i agree with you! i just think they are too politically correct and we all know i'm not much on that! :)

ginmommy said...

Good job Jami Leigh Lee!! I especially love what you wrote about your 3rd cousin, haha!!! Good points!!

Tracey said...

Awesome post!! I agree with you, too. It's funny how one little subject can bring out so much!

Rachel said...

Hi, chickie! I think I read from Emily Post one time that thank you notes were originally intended to thank someone who sent a gift rather than hand deliver it to an event (shower, wedding, bday party) because if someone hands you a present you can thank them right then and there. If a gift is sent, then a thank you note gives thanks and also serve as an acknowledgement to the person sending the gift that you have received it. Unfortunately, because it's now expected, I think you are obligated to send them on the occasions that you specifically mentioned. And are you really Jami Leigh Lee? ;)