Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bring on the Tantrums

Since we all get on our blogs and write about fun things I thought I would write about a not so pleasant experience. If you have one you would like to share, please do so. For the past few weeks Cooper has been a little cranky on and off. He still needs to get all his canine teethe (the pointy ones) and I have heard from different sources they are the most painful. Today started off great and after lunch we went outside for some playtime before nap. We got out his lawn mower and he was pushing down the sidewalk. I told him that once we got to the next driveway we were going to turn around and go the other way. I realize he probably doesn't understand what half those words meant, but I can't talk baby talk forever. So we get to the driveway and he wants to keep going so I stop him and turn the mower around. He gets frustrated and turns it back the other way again. I kept telling him no, we are going back the other way and he keeps getting upset and starting this scream that he does. I tell him if he keeps acting that way then we are going inside. He still wont listen, so I pick him up screaming and kicking and carry him back inside the house. Of course there are people outside watching us as well. We get inside and he stands by the door and keeps on screaming, finally I pick him up where he pretty much is dead weight at this time, I get his diaper changed and put him down for nap. By the time this was all over his head was sweaty, his nose was running, he could barely catch his breath.... full on tantrum. If this is what it is like at 20 months, I can't imagine him at 2 or 3. I don't know where he is getting this defiance from, our parents can tell you that Steve and I were nothing like this. The only good part of this story is that I held my ground and didn't let him get away with it.
Any other good stories out there?

4 comments:

ginmommy said...

Oh man, Pierce threw one like that in public once (and too many to count at home) but I was seriously embarrassed!! Hope throws them all the time!! Rest assured, it's normal. He was frustrated and wanted his way, all kids throw fits. It's great you didnt give in, I really think that's the key, is to always be consistent. Dont worry, it's normal and sorry to say, there will be more in the future. Hang in there, you'll make it through... good thing he's cute, hugh?!? That's what I always tell mine ;)

Dawn Jenkins said...

Everyone keeps telling me to beware of the terrible twos. 1) I think Ellie has already hit them 2) Can our children really be almost two. Wow how the time has flown

Hers and His said...

Well, I guess I can look forward to that! :)

Jill said...

You are scaring me! ;-)