Friday, February 11, 2011

A Letter

I received a letter a couple weeks ago and although I was expecting it, it still took me off guard which is why it has taken me a few weeks to blog about it. The letter was from KODA (Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates). My sister, Carmen, was an organ donor. They were able to save both kidneys and liver. Here is what I know:

Her right kidney went to a 71 yr old woman from Kentucky. I first I was shocked, 71? This lady must be a fighter. Transplant surgery is no walk in the park, she must be a spunky gal. I picture my late grandmother when I think of her.

Her left kidney went to a 67 yr old man from Kentucky and her liver went to a 62 yr old woman from Virginia. These are close to the same ages as Steve's parents. I can't imagine having to explain to Cooper he could no longer see his grandparents because they were no longer with us.

I just urge anyone, if you haven't already done so, please make that decision to become an organ donor. This was a decision my sister had already made, we as a family did not have to make it for her. As it was explained to us, organ donation can save up to 10 lives. Multiply that by family, friends, and loved ones and it an affect hundreds.

6 comments:

April said...

How nice to know how your sister was able to help so many. My family knows my decision to be a donor when the time comes. I have been praying for you and your family Jami since I heard about your sister. Hope to see you again soon at bunco. :)

ginmommy said...

It's so weird that from tragedy good can come, but isn't that how God works? He takes our pain and works ALL to the good. I'm glad your sister made that decision, and from personally knowing someone who is alive because of a transplant, I know she's blessed many lives. Thanks for sharing this too. Love and miss you bunches.

Jill said...

That is so awesome that you got that letter. David and both know that we want that done if anything happens to either of us. Thanks for sharing.

Susie said...

That is so sweet!! That is so good that good can come out of bad.

Jaime Mac said...

What a nice thing for them to let the family know where her organs went! How awesome she was able to help so many!
It was good your sister had already made that decision so the rest of you weren't burdened with it. That's something I've never really thought about...definately food for thought!

Tracey said...

Amen and Amen!! Great post and I'm glad your sister could help save lives. :) You know I'm an advocate for organ donation...great post!!