Monday, August 3, 2009

Insurance

A couple of months ago I wrote about the possibility of needing to change pediatrician's due to the Anthem and Kosair dispute. Early in July Steve heard that Kindred would be changing from Anthem to United as of Aug 1st. I wasn't surprised that they would change, Kindred is one of the largest employers in Louisville and I can't see them providing their employees with insurance that is not accepted at the largest health network in Louisville. What I was surprised at was not having to wait until open enrollment. We got our new insurance cards last week and I signed us up for online access and everything is legit. We no longer have to change pediatricians!

I want to say a huge thank you to Kindred executives. Unless they were somehow able to terminate their contract with Kosair 5 months early, they are most likely paying double for their employees health coverage. There was an article in yesterdays Courier how they have a new multi-year contract with United. It's not everyday that a company takes proactive steps with their employees in mind.

As a side note, the first thing I always look up when changing insurance carriers is their maternity benefits. No one plans on getting sick but this is a benefit I do plan on using again someday. It's better than our Anthem plan... another double bonus!

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Yea!! That's great news! :)