Thursday, September 15, 2011

First Jobs

This week we are all blogging about our first jobs. My first real job was a bagger and cashier at Jay C Food Store in Charlestown. A grocery store may not be the most glamours job for a high school student, but I had some good times. Plus, who can beat time and half on Sundays, profit sharing, and a paid vacation every year. Not to mention it was about 30 seconds from my house. I started working there when I was 16, I worked there for just over 4 years. As good things come to an end and things just started to change. Management changes and friends leaving, etc. I have some funny stories from that place. One night someone put Exlax into my drink. Thankfully it was the pill form and I realized it before I swallowed it. My manager had to take it to Rite Aid next door to get it analyzed. Can you believe he did not get fired? I also have some deep friendships through Jay C. Kristen in Karen are one. Kristen, Karen's older sister, was a shift manager in the office. I worked with her for a good portion of my time there. The summer of 97, right after I graduated high school, Kristen had just graduated nursing school and wasn't working there at the time. Since Karen was home from IU for the summer she worked as a cashier. That was the foundation for the close relationship we formed a couple years later when she moved back home after graduation. If it wasn't for Jay C I also would never have became friends with Sharon. I worked with a classmate of Sharon's and we all started hanging out and something just clicked between the two of us. You just never know where your first job will take you. I had no idea at 16 that I would eventually meet two of my closest friends.

6 comments:

Jaime Mac said...

My boyfriend in high school worked as a bagger/stock boy at a grocery store. He loved it.
That IS neat that you found some close, life-lasting relationships at your high school job!
Fun!

Susie said...

You never know where life leads you!! JAY C must be well everyone likes to start there first job now a days too!!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

awww!! that's a sweet story! :)

ginmommy said...

Gotta love the good ol' Jay-C store!!!

Beth, Joshua, Isabella, McKinley and AnnaKate said...

oh man - I think everyone worked at Jay C :-)

Tracey said...

Ok, funny exlax story!! That's neat that you guys became and stayed friends!! :)