Thursday, September 8, 2011

9/11

The blog off topic this month is 9/11. As I am writing this I have the Alan Jackson song, Where were you (When the world stopped turning), in my head. I don't think anyone will ever forget that morning. I was 22, a junior in college, and living at home. That semester I didn't have to be at school until 1:15 on Tuesdays so I was doing what most college students would be doing, sleeping in. My mom was a nurse manage at the hospital in Charlestown and was having a meeting at our house that morning. I was half awake and could hear them in the kitchen and could tell something was off. They kept getting on and off the phone and I could just tell something was going on. My mom finally came in my room to tell me what was going on, I can't remember if the plane in Pennsylvania had went down yet but both towers and the Pentagon had been hit. Honestly, the first think I thought of was Steve. He was leaving in 10 days to live in Maryland for three months. He was moving about an hour outside of DC. I was glued to the TV for the next couple hours. We watched the first tower fall live on television. I had to tear myself away from the tv to get ready for school. Campus was eerie that day. Both professors let us out early that day, I don't think anyone wanted to be there that day. After class I headed to work. I was working at a tanning salon and was scheduled to work at the Clarksville store that evening. I had no desire to be there. I wanted to be home. We had one person scheduled to come in and the owners said I could leave once that person came in. I couldn't believe someone would actually be concerned with tanning that day. Sure enough she came in. I quickly locked up and headed home. I was once again glued to the tv. Throughout the devastation I couldn't have been more proud to be an American. I doubt I will ever live to see greater heroics than those that happened that day. I still get chills when I see the clip of President Bush at the site of the World Trade Center and hearing the words, "I can hear you, the rest of the world hears you, and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon". Just youtube George Bush bullhorn speech.
I didn't know anyone personally affected by the attacks. I started working for Mercer in 2005 and they did lose some people. I'm unsure of where the offices were located in the towers, high enough that some didn't make it but not so high that people didn't get out. I'm thankful that at the time I was only 22. Old enough to realize the severity of it but not where I am now in life. It scares me even now that we are nearing the 10 year anniversary. I don't want to let my children out of my sight that day. I do think Alan Jackson had it right. Our world did stop turning that day, we live in a different world now. I pray we never have to experience anything like this again. I pray for all those involved and all those who lost loved ones. May God be with you bring you comfort.

2 comments:

ginmommy said...

Yeah, George W., was the man.

Thanks for telling your story. It's a common bond we all share as human beings.

Jaime Mac said...

OK-you made me cry... :( Good post...
Yes, that was a powerful moment when W was in New York. In the special I watched he explained it. He was uber pissed about the whole thing but his 'advisors' wouldn't let him declare war...so he would say little things here & there that didn't actually come out & say it-but got his point across. There was a man at the site who kept saying "I can't hear you!" & W had prepared nothing to say, & the words he spoke 'just came out'. It was what his heart was feeling.