Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Disturbing News

I got a letter in the mail today (okay Cooper actually got the letter) and someone at work must have gotten one too because Steve called me about 20 minutes later asking if I had heard about this. Norton Healthcare is currently in contract negotiations with Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield (our current insurance provider) and have yet to reach an agreement and if one is not reached by June 30, then Anthem will drop Norton as a network provider. Cooper's pediatrician happens to be in the Norton network of facilities, as well as Kosair Children's Hospital. If the contract is not settled then Anthem will be the only major health insurance company serving the Louisville area not to have a contract with Norton Healthcare. I think it would be safe to say that possibly up to half of the readers on this blog either have Anthem, have had Anthem or will have Anthem as their insurance provider. Some of you may not have a primary care physician within Norton's facilities, however our only children's hospital in the Louisville area is a Norton facility. When I go to look for a healthcare provider I don't even stop to think about it being in network or not, it's Blue Cross Blue Shield, don't they cover everything?? Well I guess after June 30 that answer may be no.

4 comments:

Amy said...

We too have Anthem and I am nervous as well, but according to Andrea (the lady who does the insurance for Big G) said that this has happen before and that the last time they waited until the 11th hour to make it work. So hopefully they will agree soon. If not I guess we will be switching insurance.

ginmommy said...

I got the same thing in the mail. Cannot imagine that it wouldn't work out. So many people have anthem!!

Hers and His said...

We got the same news today.

Jami said...

I hope they get this figured out, if not then I hope Kindred (Steve's employer) drops Anthem. I wouldn't think the one of the largetst employers in Louisville would want an insurance carrier that doesn't offer the larget provider in Louisville. It's all so silly, both companies are just money hungry and are not thinking about their customers at all.