Thursday, January 8, 2009

Surgery Day

Like I said, everything went very well this morning. A lot better than expected, I was concerned about him wanting something to eat or drink in the morning, he did sleep until right before we left the house so that made it a lot easier. First let me back up about 12 hours, he went to bed as normal around 8:15, around 12:45 we heard him crying. This was the beginning of what was almost two hours of us rocking him, which he was calm and asleep in our arms, but crying as soon as we laid him down. We even tried our bed, which he hasn't slept in since he was like a week old. That didn't work, he was wide awake pointing at the fan. So we tried rocking again, finally around 2:30 he fell back asleep for good. I'm not really for sure what was wrong, it could have been his ear or his tooth, I have no idea. Luckily he did sleep till about 7:15, Steve and I were already ready to go, we had the car warmed up, all I had to do was change his diaper and clothes. He then did something that once again he has not done in over a year, he peed all over me. I then had to go change my clothes. Bad morning already!

We were scheduled to arrive at 8:15, we had to go to the Louisville Surgery Center in downtown, it's actually about three blocks from where I used to work. We got there a little early, we probably waited about 15 minutes before they called us back. That is when we changed him into his gown, a nurse took his temperature and blood pressure, and he was given some medicine to make him more relaxed. After that we waited maybe another 10-15 minutes, then the anesthesiologist (yes I used spell check on that one) came to talk to us and while he was asking the questions another nurse came and took him back to have the surgery. It was kind of sneaky, kind of like they used the doctor to distract us, which was nice in a way. We had to go back out to the waiting room, waiting for us out there was the early childhood director from church. She just took over the position and it was so nice of her to come over. She sat with us and talked until the doctor came out, once again, maybe 15 minutes and it was all done. We went back to get him and he was still asleep. He woke up about 10 minutes later ready for some juice. They warned us he could be a little fussy and not have an appetite, not our Cooper. He was been ready to play and eat all day long. The little guy came out like a champ. I'm glad it's over and hopefully he will have a much better night than last night. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I'm sure it was harder on Steve and myself than it was on Cooper.

Early this morning on the way, poor guy has no idea what is about to happen. Playing with daddy before surgery.
This is my favorite picture, no it's not a bad picture, this is really what his eyes looked like.

And finally the saddest picture taken before he woke up.






3 comments:

ginmommy said...

Ahhhh, he looks so sweet and pitiful. So glad it all went well for the little guy and of course for mommy and daddy!!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

that does look pitiful! makes me want to cry! i am glad it is over and things went well though!!

Tracey said...

Adorable. I'm so thankful everthing went well. I'm sure you are relieved.