Monday, February 18, 2013

Horatio Spafford

We heard a story at church on Sunday that I feel compelled to share. 

We were told the story of Horatio Spafford.  Horatio was a prominent Chicago lawyer in the late 1800's.  He lived a charmed life with his wife Anna and 4 children.  In 1870 their only son died of scarlet fever.  In 1871 the great fire of Chicago broke out destroying investment properties taking away most of their wealth.  Two years later Horatio and his wife decided to visit Europe.  Horatio stayed behind in Chicago finishing up business while his wife and four young daughters went ahead of him.  The ship is wife and daughters boarded was struck by an iron sailing ship, resulting in the death of his four daughters.  His wife was one of a handful of survivors.  Horatio immediately left Chicago to bring his wife home.  While sailing across the Atlantic, the caption of the ship notified Horatio they were coming upon the suspected crash site.  That night, Horatio went to his cabin and wrote these words:
 
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
 
 
 
 
 
 


5 comments:

ginmommy said...

Know that story well, and that is why that hymn is my favorite.

Susie said...

Heard that story too!! Love the song!!

Jill said...

I LOVE this story. That is one of my very favorite hymns.

Tracey said...

That story and hymn always make me cry! God is good, no matter what.

melanie said...

Wow, very powerful. Don't know that I've heard that story. Very overwhelming. I love knowing that God is there teaching and watching us. He is in us. With us through it all. Praise Jesus