Friday, September 18, 2009

Firehouse Trip

This past Wednesday we went with our preschool church group on a tour of the fire station in Jeff. I recommend this to all parents and children of all ages. Cooper was a little young to understand but I plan on taking him back in a couple of years. It was a fun learning experience for myself. We started off with the boring stuff- the hallway of offices. But this is where the kids got their fire helmets, badge stickers and an activity book. Next was off to the fun stuff, a tour of the trucks. Of course this was the highlight for the kiddos. Everyone loves playing on firetrucks. Then it was off to my favorite part; the bedrooms, kitchen and living room. These people really do live like a family. The lady giving the tour explained that the team she works with will try to eat a sit down breakfast & dinner together. Someone will cook, the others will help clean and the rookie does dishes. The bedrooms were neat too, the one we went in had three murphy beds that pull down from the wall and with the lights out it would be pitch black and very cold. That is my way to sleep. I had so much fun I'm thinking of dressing Cooper up as a fireman for Halloween.
Thanks to all the men & women who sacrifice their lives for us. It was a great learning experience to see how you live your life everyday.
Of course he wouldn't keep his hat on for too long, this is about the best I could grab. If you look close you can see his fireman's badge.
They also did a demonstration of what a fireman looks like when they have to come in a burning building. Some of the children got a little scared. He took off his mask and turned off his tank before he made is way over to Cooper, but I'm sure my son would have cried too.

These are a few shots of all the kiddos, notice my son is one of the ones without a hat.








1 comment:

ginmommy said...

That's too stinkin' cute of all the little one's sitting on the front of the firetruck :)