Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Tonsil Free Home

 If you follow me on Instagram I apologize in advance because this is going to be a total repeat.

I started noticing Cameron's tonsils were a little big about 2 years ago when in Disney.  We all slept in the same room for 4 nights and he snored, which is not a good sign in a 2 year old. Our pediatrician and ENT would tell us they are big but not that big but just keep an eye on them.  The past 6 months they seemed to be getting worse so at our last ENT appointment we checked again and he agreed, they needed to come out.  

The surgery was last Thursday so Wednesday night I did an early Throwback Thursday to when Cooper had his taken out.  This breaks my heart.  He was 2 1/2.  That is young people.  So young it was an inpatient procedure.  Thankfully this time around it was outpatient.

You can get Cameron excited for just about anything and he was all smiles waiting to be called back.  The night before he was running around making up songs about getting his tonsils out.

Still, all smiles. Even when they came to get him and wheel him back, he was chatting with the anesthesiologist about Batman and Spider-Man.  Brave little boy. 

The surgery itself was probably less than 20 minutes, the doctor came to talk to us letting us know it all went great and they were in fact gigantic.  He was still sleeping so it was probably another 10 minutes before they called us back to recovery.  The kid was a hot mess. It was most likely due to the medicine and waking up but poor baby, he was crying and gagging and had a bloody nose. They gave him some pain medicine and some medicine to help with nausea that thankfully put him to sleep.  He was cute though, the anesthesia caused his face and nose to itch and even while sleeping would try and scratch it.  

They kept an eye on his vitals for about 30 minutes and then let us go.  He slept most of they way home, we had stopped to get his medicine and Steve some lunch since he had to go to work, Cameron woke up and smelled it and asked for a cheeseburger. Are you kidding me?  You had your tonsils out less than two hours ago and are asking for a cheeseburger?  Obviously we didn't give him one, but he did eat donuts when we got home.  He looks so sad.

He did good that first day.  He ate a little bit just small amounts at a time.  My mom stopped by with dinner and he found his cuddling buddy.

Check this out, I had tweeted a picture him pre-surgery with his Yogi Ferrell bear and look who tweeted/re-tweeted it!  Love it!

Friday was low-key.  He ate okay, would play for a while, then end up like this.  He never once really complained though.  He slept all night Thursday and woke up smiling.  So far so good.

Saturday was more the same except he wouldn't eat much.  He didn't complain about hurting but it was hard to get him to eat.  We spent most the day watching tv. 

At this point I was still giving him his prescribed pain medicine.  Around dinner he was complaining of a headache, I figured due to lack of food. Steve had just laid some grilled steaks on the table for us and I was trying to get Cameron to eat some other soft foods.  Not 3 bites in, it all came back up.  Puts a bit of a damper on those steaks.  No surprise he was like this at 6:00.

After a short nap he woke up, had a few bites to eat and was 100% better.  We blamed it on the pain meds so we made the decision to switch from the Hydrocodone he was on to just Tylenol.  Made all the difference.

Sunday & Monday he was back, not 100%, but his normal smiling self.  Steve took them on a rock finding walk, we had dinner at Polly's Freeze and Monday we went to Perrin Park for a walk.  More importantly, he was eating and only taking Tylenol twice a day.

By Tuesday I had my boy back.   

This is hilarious.  We dropped Cooper off and went to the grocery and he asked for some McDonald's sausage.  While eating it he told me he was full and wanted to save the rest for Cooper, this was the rest. 

Just because...we played Star Wars with our Avengers action figures.  He has roles for each of them.  There are many more than these three and we played all 6 movies.  He is an imaginative kiddo.

That brings us to today. Less than one week and we are no longer even doing Tylenol, he is eating like a champ, and I'm going to go and say 100% back.  

Cooper did good with his surgery but this kid blew me away.  I checked in his mouth and I do give credit to our ENT, it was a clean cut.  You can't even tell he just had it done.  

We are now a tonsil free home. 


Susie said...

Glad to see that Cameron is doing well!!

Jaime Mac said...

I'm glad to see my little buddy is feeling better! Even though he had some rough spots sounds like he came through like a champ!
And Twitter - that's SO cool! I love it!

ginmommy said...

He did so great! Tough boy!