Friday, March 13, 2015

My Mental Hurdle

Y'all are probably getting tired of me writing about running but I had to share the one big hurdle I crossed yesterday, that was my first 10 mile run.  

This run was originally on our schedule way back on February 28th.  The week before was our snow storm that caused us to be out of school for a week, then on that Saturday we got more snow, sleet, and some ice.  So we didn't run our 9 mile run at all and we ended up doing that on the 28th.  The following week was the 5k and we didn't even have a long run scheduled so we added one in mid-week while Cameron was at school, but it snowed again. 
Yesterday morning I dropped Cameron off at school, the sun was shining, no ear warmers needed, no gloves needed, no 5 layers of clothes needed, it was the weather and run I had been looking forward to for months.  

It pretty much took us the entire time Cameron was in school but we got it done.


I  can usually go anywhere between 10:30 and 11/mile on my short runs, I slow myself down quite a bit for the long ones.  This pace was 12:33 but I feel that was a little off, we slowed way down the last 2 miles or it would have been around 12:15 or 20.  Laura was having some physical issues, she's all good now, just had to slow down so we wouldn't have to stop.  

I felt great!  Better than I ever have on any long run.  A lot had to do with the weather, that's a huge factor.  I have 100% confidence that if it would have been the day of the mini I would have finished without a problem,  My legs didn't hurt last night, they don't hurt today.  I needed this, I needed this for my confidence, it's a huge hurdle to cross.   I'm more excited than ever for April 25th to get there.

I think I've mentioned that I'm already looking into doing other half marathon's, whether it's the Derby again or another.  I really want to do the Indianapolis Monumental Half, it's held in November and I don't know if I can pull it off this year since I'm already taking a trip in October and I've only been away once in the past 7 1/2 years without kids and Steve and I have never been away, but it's on my list.  Hopefully by 2016.  
I started looking at ways to display medals, in the downstairs office of course.  I loved the look of this one..

but with the Hebrew's scripture instead of "Every journal begins with a single step".  I don't need the space to put PR's, heck I just want to finish.  Might be something I look into after all these races are over.


Just so I don't bore you to tears with running stories, I will go ahead and share a few pics.
Steve was off Monday and Tuesday.  He hurt his ribs, doctor is not ruling out a rib fracture and muscle tear, he's much better now, but I wouldn't complain if this is how I spent my day off.

Big Ten Tournament play kicked off yesterday so the boys wore their IU gear to school.  Apparently Cameron wanted to called Yogi all day.

IU ended up winning!  We play Maryland tonight.  We beat them once by almost 20 then they beat us by just a couple points.  If we can win tonight it should ensure a spot in the NCAA tournament, if not, we still may be on the bubble.  A player from Indiana got hurt last night so hoping they play hard and good tonight.

Have a good weekend!  Let's get through the rain cause Monday looks fabulous.




2 comments:

Jaime Mac said...

YAY what an accomplishment for you! 10 miles seems like a crazy far way to run! Good for you!!!

Susie said...

Way to go!!