Sunday, January 17, 2010

Last Week

I'm going to try and be brief here but it was a wild and crazy week in our house.

Monday & Tuesday started off good, we were done with eye drops and Cooper's eyes looked great. He did have a cough but it sounded dry so I didn't think it was a big deal. Later in day Tuesday it started sounding bad again and he coughed in his sleep some at night. Woke up Wednesday to the same cough and runny nose. My breaking point was the moment he was coughing so hard he got choked and couldn't breathe and looked up at me the most petrified look on his face. I called the doctor and got us in an hour later. They checked him out and decided to test for both strep and rsv and while waiting on the results they had me give him a breathing treatment since he did sound wheezy. Poor thing, he was scared to death of it, the only way I could calm him was to cradle him and sing Jesus Loves Me... how pitiful is that? Doctor comes back, strep is negative but rsv is positive. She sends us home with prescription to do breathing treatments and to call back next week if it doesn't get better.

Wednesday night isn't too bad, he does cough in his sleep and must have had a bad one because Thursday morning I found some spit up in his bed, other than that he seems fine. Doesn't have much of an appetite, just trying to get him to drink plenty of fluids. His cough is on and off but he nose is like a faucet, I'm having to wipe literally every 2 minutes. That night, about a half hour before bed he seems like he wants to eat. I get out some Rice Krispie cereal and we share some. What comes next is totally mine and Steve's fault.... we are watching tv and giving Cooper bites of cereal at the same time, I think the tv is a distraction because he just keeps eating when normally he was refusing to eat all day. Then starts the coughing which leads to choking which leads to him spitting out some of the cereal. I pick him up and stand up to help him catch his breath, next thing I know he projectile vomits (sorry people, I know it's disgusting) soaking himself, me, our couch and carpet. I run him to the bathroom and get him in the tub, he is screaming, Steve is frantically trying to get the living room cleaned up.... it's full blown chaos. Luckily after the bath, Cooper is calm and seems okay, we go ahead and put him to bed and turn up the monitor so we can keep a close ear on him. He doesn't cough much but does cry out in sleep for a few hours, it's around 2 am before he falls asleep for good.

Friday, things are a little better. Nose is better, cough is okay, still doesn't want to eat but I am not about to force that. He also takes a great nap and only coughs once Friday night. Finally, it is Sunday night and I think the tables have turned. He ate great today, had a banana tonight and cried for more afterwards. Has only been coughing first thing after he wakes up and his nose only ran today when he got upset and cried...which he was a little cranky. I'm hoping after tomorrow we will be okay with just one breathing treatment a day, I will probably continue for at least a week. I'm also hoping we can get back out this week, I think by Tues or Wed we should be in the all clear. I'm ready for normal!

Wednesday night he did get a popsicle treat, really only because I love how he says it. We have been getting extra cuddle time in during breathing treatments, I hate that he has to do them but he has calmed down and even holds it himself.
Finally he has found his own little chair. We took the cushion off to lay out in the garage to air out, our house smelled horrible on Friday. He has been sitting here making himself right at home.



8 comments:

"The" Chick. said...

Poor kiddo! I know how hard those breathing treatments can be. Hopefully he has nothing but a healthy week!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

poor thing!! i hate when they are sick! feel better, cooper!

Amy said...

Poor Cooper, Mommy and Daddy. It's so hard when they are sick and all you wish you could do is snap your fingers and make it all go away or wish it was you and not your baby. We will keep Cooper in our prayers. Hopefully this week will be a lot better. :)

Jill said...

Poor Cooper. Hoping and praying that he (and you, bless your heart!), get some relief this week!

Tracey said...

I'm so glad he's doing better!! It was good to see you Sat night and I'm really glad you were able to get out! Here's hoping for a better week!!

The Tibbs World said...

poor guy, i didn't realize he was sick too. hate that he had to do a breathing treatment. Hope all is well now!

ginmommy said...

It's been a rough couple weeks with the sickies, hasn't it?!?! Glad he's on the mend :)

melanie said...

Hope you still can eat rice crispy cereal. That is my favorite.
Glad coop is doing better.