Monday, October 6, 2014

Great Pumpkin 10k... and other stuff

I don't know what it is but it seems like my social calendar will stay empty for weeks at a time then it blows up.  That's the way it was this past week.  During the week Steve and I had things every night.  One of those was new small group I joined at church.  It's all ladies, I'm so excited about it.  We would love to do one as a couple but Steve is leading the high school boys on Sunday nights so it wasn't possible.

I worked at the school twice last week, once was for their quarterly incentive reward day.  Cooper's teacher teased me that he got UK painted on his face. He might not have been allowed back in the house.


This was his project for College Go Week.  Love it!



I met up with Jaime Mac for dinner and to see Gone Girl on Friday.  It was a great movie!  Now we both have read the book so no surprises but if you haven't read the book your head may be turning a bit. I do warn you, it's dark and somewhat graphic. Even after reading the book I was on the edge of my seat for the entire 2 1/2 hours.  

Saturday morning was it, time for my race, The Great Pumpkin 10k.  I can't believe I did it.  Not only did I do it, I pretty much rocked it.  My cousin did it with me, thankfully, it was at the Parklands of Floyds Fork which is out by Valhalla.  Don't know if I would have went by myself out there.  I couldn't have asked for a better race.  I got tired toward the end but I was 100% prepared.  I had done 6 miles twice before this and plenty of 5's and 4's. I always stopped right at 6 so race day would be my longest run ever at 6.2.  There was one big hill then a slight ascent for about a half a mile, but then we got to come back down.  The first time I did 6 miles (about a month ago) I did it at a 11.54/min per mile pace.  The second time I did (last week) I had a pace of 11.28/mile.  Saturday... my phone clocked me in at a 10.54/mile.  My official time was 11/mile, but I always use my phone so that's what I'm going by. In once month I took off 1 minute per mile over 6 miles!  Now I probably couldn't do that on my own again, the race and atmosphere helped, but I'm still very proud of myself.  

Saturday afternoon I worked with my PTO ladies counting cookie dough orders and money.  It took us 4 hours!!!   The school made over $8300 so it's all worth it.

We ended the night watching A Dolphin Tale.  Cameron didn't make it, poor little guy was worn out.  


Sunday afternoon my mom took the boys and I out to Huber's for dinner and playtime.  Scott warned it us it was crowded, it was when we arrived then it started raining some and it cleared out a little.  The kids had a great time.

Cameron's face is awesome in this.




They rode ponies, I'm still somewhat shocked Cameron got on one.



It was a fun afternoon for everyone. 


I've been counting down the weeks since school stated and we are finally on fall break.  It feels great.  I left the house earlier but I'm back in my flannel pj pants.  I'll stay this way most the week, until Saturday when we leave on a short family road trip.  Looking forward to that, so much!!




4 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

AWESOME!!! I am so excited for you!!! There is NOTHING like race day excitement!!!! It's what keeps you coming back!! I wish I had signed up for a fall race. Spring for sure for me!!

ginmommy said...

I'm so proud of you!

Susie said...

Way to go Jami!!

Jaime Mac said...

GREAT job on the 10K! SO SO SOOOO awesome!
I love getting together w/ blog stalkers from time to time! It's always so fun & it takes no time to catch up bc we read about each others lives ALL the time! So glad we were able to meet up to see 'Gone Girl'!
(And Jami's right - the movie was VERY close to the book!)